Friday, June 19, 2009

Good packing suggestions


Africafreak offers some offers some good ideas to consider when packing for your climb. I particularly like his points about how to pick out boots and some of the key features.

As you may remember, I've been ranting that boots are probably the most important piece of equipment you'll take to Kilimanjaro. Socks also go in this category. I personally have been much happier with silk than polypropylene, but it doesn't take too much to experiment on your own.

I haven't found gaiters to be as useful. I see them on almost every packing list, including the one we provide customers. But I've never actually used them on any of my Kilimanjaro treks. They could be used for the mud and water the first day in the rain forrest or to help keep your legs warm on the summit. But there really isn't that much snow on the mountain these days.

Finally, I love his final point about jeans. When packing, try to take as little cotton on the mountain as possible. Save it for the safari.


No comments:

Post a Comment